Saturday, February 21, 2009

Researching Blogs - Part 2

I can't believe it has been 2 weeks since I posted!!! Not what I planned. My goal is to post at least 3 times a week. No excuses - not yet a habit.

On to Blogs! Lauryn's blog is called "Lauryn rocks"; she is a 3rd grader. Her class "Room 12" has a blog also; both are set up on a blog service/product call Class Blogmeinster. I'm intrigued by how these blogs are interlinked. It appears a teacher can set up a class blog and blogs for each student. I can see the teacher's posted assignments and the Lauryn's responses. I can also view other students responses. I can see student comments on Lauryn's posts. Most touching was a comment from a grandparent. I sensed the grandparent lived in a different area, but could still see the granddaughter's work.

Seeing the work and commenting on the work; "seeing thoughts/thinking" and seeing changes in the students ability to express themself. So, so much better than parents (or grandparents) just seeing the "grades", never seeing the work that generated the grade. No wonder kids confuse learning and grades! What we need is kids joyfully producing and creating, not earning grades. Blogs seem to represent a wonderway for folks to see student work! Question: Who can see Lauryn's blog? Obviously I could; cna anyone in the world look at Lauryn's work? I'm thinking about safety and internet "overexposure".

Jamin is a 6th grader; she has been blogging for 3 years also on Class Blogmeister. Here is her 2/13/09 blog post "on blogging". So far 74 hits on her post - no comments yet online. I decided to send a comment. I sent a short supportive note; in posting the comment I learned that the teacher will review comment and let it be posted (I assume if it was appropriate.) You can sense Jasmin's excitement in blogging. She has posted about 50 items over almost 2 years. It appears she started in April 2007. Scanning a few of her posts, I could see real growth in her abilty to express herself. You'll note some grammer issues (right instead of write for example). I sense the teacher must be secure; some teachers wouldn't "allow" public view of such errors - it might a reflection on the teacher, not the current level of Jasmin's writing....... Her is her post.

BLOGGING

I Just Like Blogging

This is my third year of blogging and I just love it. My favorite thing about blogging is that I always get to see how many people all over the word read my blog post in one day. I mean it is just so amazing. I also love just being able to right my own expressions and in my own words. One of the other things I like about blogging is that you get to talk with people all over the word.

Talking To Kids All Over The World

Talking to kids and teachers all over the word is the best. Why you ask. Well lets just say that when you talk to kids all over the word you are able to chat with them and tell them all about your cutler and they can tell you about theirs. You also could ask them what time it is down or up there and see what the different is from here to there.

How Does It Help You

Blogging is another way to teach you how to read and to spell. One way that it helps you learn to read is because when you check it you read fluently. Another way that you learn to spell is that you see your mistake and you pronounce the word


No comments: