Sunday, February 22, 2009

Researching Blogs - Part 4

Miss Baker's Biology Class is the home page for a HS biology class with numerous links. Extreme Biology is one of those links - a class blog. It won the Edublog 2008 best class blog. The Edublog site provides a wealth of examples of blogs (and wikis and other web 2.0 tools) in education. Since 2004, Edublog has recognized high quality uses of technology in education. In 2008, awards were given in 16 categorizes (not unlike the Oscars which are on tonight, you can view all the nominations too!)

Back to Miss Baker's blog, lots of postings, some/many by students. Many pictures and links; since her classes have a home page also, I don't think the blog is as comprehensive as some. She writes, "Hello! My name is Stacy Baker. I’m an upper (high) school biology teacher at a school in the northeast United States. I started blogging for my students in 2006. During the first year I only used the blog to post class information. In 2007 I decided to turn the blog over to my students and have been thrilled at the results. It has greatly increased student involvement and science literacy in my classroom."
She also has a blog called Using Blogs in Science Education, for educators.

The Number Warrior is - you guessed it - math blog set up on wordpress. My sense is that this blog's primary function is enrichment for the students. Doesn't appear that students comment routinely. A one way blog - getting info out to the kids. Lots of puzzles and games.

The last example of blogging from the SAI training is Teaching the Civil War with Technology. It includes lots of digital resources that a college prof has put together on the Civil War. Developed as part of his dissertation I believe. There is also a Civil War wiki.

No comments: